Movies have made most people overestimate their knowledge about managing a team. As a result, they get flustered when confronted with problems that disrupt their teams from making any kind of reasonable progress.
Team management can be described as the act of being in control of a group of persons within or without an organization for the purpose of efficiently completing a goal or a task. Team management can be exhausting but we can help you make it fun. Nevertheless, being an effective team manager is easier than you think. Here are five tips that can help you achieve your goal of managing a team efficiently.
Communication is the cornerstone of effective leadership. It is through effective communication that you can be of the same mind with your team members about your objectives, purpose, and the timeline within which you can achieve all these. Effective communication breeds healthy working relationships and an avenue for growth for you and your team members. Some of the ways you can communicate effectively are:
- Give feedback on both good work and bad work: Don’t be a critic that only gives feedback when there is something to criticize. Acknowledge good performances also. This will help boost the creativity and productivity levels of your team as your team members are sure to be motivated and excited to work under you. In addition, encourage your team members to give you feedback about how you are performing. That way, you all can grow as a team.
- Be accessible: Part of being an excellent leader is that you can easily be reached by your team members. This becomes easier when you acknowledge their work.
- Put in an effort to know more about your team: Work can be influenced by individual circumstances. Hence, you should try to get to know more about your team members. Ask after their family, discuss and advise them even outside of work. This will further help to create and encourage the notion that you are accessible.
- Use technology: Communication can be hampered due to busy schedules. You can prevent this by the use of different online communication platforms.
2. Be a good listener
In a bid to be an effective communicator, you should not get too carried away and become that team leader or manager that likes to listen to themselves. If you not careful, you can smother your team members with too much communication that they do not feel free enough to be creative. These tips will help you become a wonderful listener;
- To be an effective listener, as we mentioned above, you have to entertain feedback and the accompanying constructive criticisms. You have to understand that you are not perfect and that there are things you can improve on.
- Don’t be eager to respond: When you are getting feedbacks, truly listen, and do not be eager to give a reply. Think on what they have said deeply. Let your mind soak the information up before responding. You can indicate that you are listening by going over what they said in your own words.
3. Embrace Technology
Technology can boost your productivity with the use of tools and other online services. Let’s say, for instance, that you are a team manager in charge of a writing team, you could hire an assignment help service that helps with that. If, for instance, you are on a budget, you could get an even cheaper assignment help service.
The use of technology can also help your team meet up with deadlines. With the use of time tracking tools, you can manage time and reduce the pressure placed on your team members. Using technology would surely allow your team members to be flexible in the completion of their various tasks.
4. Be Transparent
When you communicate and listen properly with your team members, it helps you to be more accessible to your team members. In addition to communication and listening, show respect to your team members, especially when it comes to their contributions. The result is that they would trust you more. The trust would also be reflected between the team members as you have made them valuable in each other’s eyes. Be close to your team and lead by example. Your involvement in their activities projects a feeling of dedication from you, which would rub off on your team members. They will certainly feel as if you are part of them and not some disconnected and unconcerned boss.
5. Don’t Be Afraid to Delegate
One of the tips of delegation is to trust your team members. When you have confidence in your team members, the bulk of the headache that comes with delegation is removed. Learn the strengths and the weaknesses of your team members and apportion tasks that you know they are capable of doing. Motivate them by communicating with them and giving them feedback.
This concludes our tips for being for achieving effective team management. We are sure you would get the results you need the moment you start applying them.
Jennifer Holland is a professional writer with 3 years of work experience which includes writing for bestessaytips.com. Her writing focuses on education, student life – which includes dissertation writing and career development writing. Jennifer Holland also helps students kickstart their careers and land their preferred jobs by offering them her experience, knowledge, and superb writing skills. Feel free to connect with her on Facebook or Twitter.