This week on, The Chelsea Krost Show, we teamed up with Self Magazine’s Dream Team to get head to toe ready for SUMMER!
Expert Amber Herring, Accessories Editor and Beauty Mixologist taught us great at home remedies for hair, skin, and lips. The reason at-home recipes work so incredibly well and give you instant, amazing results is because you’re using fresh, natural ingredients. Everything you’re putting on your skin or hair is an active ingredient, which gives you major results.
Summer Face Scrub:
(perfect for anyone who starts to breakout as soon as it gets hot outside)
1/2 cup applesauce
3 T brown sugar
2 T green tea leaves
2 T olive oil
Apples are a fruit acid that help exfoliate dead skin cells (which clog pores and lead to acne) and can even help lighten dark spots left from acne. By the way, eating an apple can also help whiten teeth! The fruit rubs against your
teeth and manually scrubs away any surface stains you got, say from your coffee that morning.
Brown sugar: this just gives you some grit that’ll scrub the dead cells away
Green tea: one of the best antioxidants out there (antioxidants keep your skin healthy)
Olive oil hydrates skin
Mix everything in a bowl until it forms a light paste, then splash water onto skin and gently massage the mixture in for 30 seconds to a minute. Rinse. Do this up to 3 times per week.
So-Shiny Hair Mask
(perfect for when your hair has gotten dull and dry from too much sun, wind, and swimming)
2 T olive oil
1 T honey
1/2 of a mashed avocado
Olive oil adds shine
Egg has protein to strengthen hair. It also helps with volume and shine.
Honey hydrates (it’s a “humectant” which means that it attracts and holds water in the skin)
Avocado has tons of vitamins (like A, C, and E). It’s hydrating and may even encourage hair growth.
Mix everything together in a bowl. Section off your dry hair. Apply the mask with your hands to each section, then twist and clip against your head. Put on a shower cap (it’ll trap the heat, which helps the mask absorb) and wait anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Then rinse out the mask and shampoo and condition as usual.
Berry Lip Stain
(perfect lip color that seriously lasts all day and isn’t sticky at all!)
1/2 cup petroleum jelly
1 scoop (or 2 packets) Natural Cherry Pomegranate Crystal Light
A jar or tin to put it in
Mix both ingredients in a bowl, adding 1 tsp water a few drops at a time until gloss turns berry red. Put it into your jar or tin.
Amber Herring’s Must Have Fashion Accessories:
Sunglasses – 3 trends: mirrored, colorful transparent, printed
What says summer more than a great pair of sunglasses?
RayBan flash mirror lenses – $150 ray-ban.com
- iconic aviator reinvented
- matte transparent frame and super trendy flash mirror lenses
- mirrors are a huge trend in eyewear – see it continuing into the fall Tory Burch, Anna Sui, Victoria Beckham
- Mirrors provide instant cool factor and who doesn’t love hiding behind mirror lenses?
- aviators look great on practically any face shape
Fantaseyes purple transparent – $22 Fantas-eyes.com
- A “way-round” shape – combo of a wayfarer and round “Lennon” style frames
- Transparent feels really summery because they almost have a jelly look to them – throw back to the jelly flats of our childhood
- another trend that’s continuing into fall Anna Sui
- round shape is great for heart shaped, square
- great thing about these is the pinched corners – can add dimensions to a round face
- oval faces can wear pretty much any shape sunglasses
LeSpecs animal print frame – $59
- animal print is a classic made fun in bright colors
- oversize frame waycat is flattering on most face shapes
You Can find all these trends in a variety of shapes and colors.
Clear Accessories – 5 trends
Clear accessories were a huge trend on the spring runway from Valentino to Burberry and we saw it really carry over to summer accessories. Perfect for summer and especially the beach because can they can get wet and can easily be wiped off.
Jack Rogers beach bag – $228 – jackrogersusa.com
- Amazing colorful beach bag from Jack Rogers has a tribal, festival feel with the embroidery and pom poms – another big trend for summer.
- If you don’t want everyone to see what you’re carrying you can put some opaque printed pouches inside
- Love these printed pouches from Baggu – $16 for set of 3 – baggu.com
- Great thing about trying the clear trend for a beach bag is you don’t have a lot of things to hide sunscreen, towel, etc.
- Can get wet, sandy, sunscreen, oil and it wipes right off
Nasty Gal pretty clear clutch – $58 – nastygal.com
- Great day to night bag option as well – clear envelope clutch with a detachable cross body strap
- Has a built in removable gold pouch so you can choose what’s secret and not so secret in your bag
- Studs give it a little edge
Via Spiga white Lucite heel – $135 – viaspiga.com
- The clear trend gets elevated in this white vinyl strap, Lucite heel style
- These have a platform and a lightly cushioned insole to make them a little more comfy
- Something sexy about seeing your skin through the straps. Elongates the legs and shows off your tan.
Forever 21 peep-toe jelly flats – $24.80
- Great day to night flat with neon jelly panels. The peep-toe and bow make them feel sweet.
- Comfortable way to try the trend.
Nasty Gal neon nights clear cap – $35 – nastygal.com
- Baseball caps are making a huge comeback. They are not just for sporty wear anymore. This version with neon jelly panels proves that. Can be dressed up with a pencil skirt or dressed down with jeans.
- Perfect for the beach also to protect your face from the sun.
Beach to Bar Jewelry – 3 trends
Packing for a weekend getaway or vacation – you want jewelry that can multitask and is light and easy. Important to be cute and comfortable – especially when the weather warms up.
Personal Word Necklace
Jennifer Zeuner Loved and Love necklace: jenniferzeuner.com
Jane Basch “Happy” necklace: janebasch.com
- personal jewelry is always a huge trend, but we’ve seen even more styles with mantras or inspirational words like “love” and “happy”
- huge trend going into fall you’ll see larger styles and a wider variety of mantras
- little gold necklace is perfect for summer because you never have to take it off
- looks as great with a bikini as it looks with a dress
Jewels by Dunn – $36-44
- like the ones seen on our June cover with Shay Mitchell
- bring a bunch on vacation with you and stack several different ones together every day to get a different look’
- some of these are even a little rubbery so they’re great in water Waterproof watches
Neff water resistant watches – $30
- Nothing better than a waterproof watch that looks cute enough to wear after the beach
- Black and white – which is a huge trend for summer – with a pop of color or something more 80’s looking in neon and patterns